When you file for you PFD online please choose to support our non-profit community with your gift to organizations that matter to you! To file your Alaska PFD application CLICK HERE>>>
Difficult times only strengthen our resolve and commitment to “Enrich. Inspire. Educate. Collaborate. Build Community..one note at a time!” Our stage has been ‘dark’ but our community spirit is brighter than ever! Help us ‘raise the curtain’ on live performances and impactful projects in our 2021-22 Season of Healing. You’ve felt the power of opera to touch our souls, how a classic favorite can reconnect you to things that matter to you or a how a new work can take you by storm and change your life. Opera brings joy and wonder at a time when we all need it most.
We appreciate your Pick.Click.Give. donation in ANY amount especially during this time of dire need during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“It starts with music on the page, you see the MAGIC up on the stage. There’s a thousand details and we all must play our parts. There’s a role for you now. Will you help us save the arts?”…
Your Pick.Click.Give donation helps us survive the pandemic to make MAGIC again for our community!
(“ANCHORAGE OPERA!” Based on “Into the Unknown” – Frozen 2. Created & produced with original lyrics by Rachel Policar)
The Impact of Your Gift: helps us serve our community
Our Community is our Stage!
Your donation enables us to connect directly with our community in new and more meaningful ways helping us produce and perform main stage operas, new socially relevant works, educational programs and community collaborations for which we will engage the talents of some 400 singers, musicians & theatrical artists approximately 87% of which live in the greater Anchorage area.
Each season new works are presented to serve our community
- Missing (Feb ’22) will give voice to the tragic epidemic of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls (MMIWG2S). A powerful Missing Exhibition in Voth Hall will be open for patrons to visit before and after all performances of the show. Alaska Native organizations and individuals will participate with informational tables and art, including Alaska Native Heritage Center, Native Movement, Data for Indigenous Justice, Alaska Native Women’s Resource Center, Alaska Native Justice Center, Native Peoples Action, Anchorage Museum and artist, Amber Webb with her giant kuspuk artwork.
- Frida (Feb ’20) Voth Hall became the site for our interactive Frida Exhibition during all performances of the show. Community members and organizations whose missions align with Frida Kahlo’s legendary life were invited to be a part of it to shine a spotlight on them and their causes. Indra Arriaga, Identity, Inc., Rotary Club of Anchorage East, Alaska Miss Amazing, The Piñata Shop,Alzheimer’s Resource of Alaska and Tim Pearson for participating. You all made our production a richer experience for everyone. Bravi tutti!
- An American Dream (Feb ’19) dealt with WWII Japanese American internment & AO used the opera to include the topic of Alaska Natives’ internment, inspiring discussion of discrimination & the current treatment of refugees/immigrants. Prelude to the Opera speakers were in the camps themselves, #AKIncarcerationStories seat cards were created. JACL, Alaska Jewish Museum, ACLU, Bridge Builders, Congregation Beth Sholom, National Park Service, Japan Alaska Association & Identity participated.
- As One (Feb ’18) told the journey of a trans protagonist. Partnering with Identity, we engaged new audiences & addressed discrimination based on gender identity/sexual orientation. Prelude to the Opera featured local trans men & women relating their own stories, #TRANSformativeStories seat cards were placed. An exhibition of art by local trans artists was in Voth Hall, where Identity, Fair Anchorage & Welcoming Anchorage manned informational tables.
- Glory Denied (Feb ’17) served our military population an we collaborated with Anchorage VA‘s, Alaska Veterans Museum & military bases. With #AKVetStories, memories of AK vets were put onto cards and placed on each theater seat. Talk Backs with the artists let audiences discuss the show & their experience of it.
The Impact of Your Gift: enables community partnerships
Making magic onstage and OFF in our community on collaborative events with:
- Anchorage Downtown Partnership
- Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
- Anchorage Rotary Clubs
- Alaska Zoo
- Alzheimer’s Resource of Alaska
- S.T.A.R. (Standing Together Against Rape)
- Local Restaurants
- …and more!
The cast of La Boheme took South Restaurant + Coffeehouse by storm with a Flash MOB-pera
First Friday, Feb 7, 2020 – Anchorage Museum at Rasmuson Center
The Impact of Your Gift: helps our schoolchildren
- Our education program, AO2Go, partners with the faculty of UAA and UAF to present operatic performances that tour to area schools and far afield to remote Alaska Native villages.
- In a time when music and theater arts education in our schools is suffering drastic funding cut-backs, Anchorage Opera is dedicated to bridging that gap. Our entire community benefits when our children have the arts in their lives.
- Each season more than 1700 students attend final dress rehearsals of operas at the PAC free of charge.
In 2022 Aklaq & Nayak (An Alaska Native Adaptation of Hansel & Gretel) will be remounted and toured. A filmed version of this new production will also be created and shared with schools, community centers and other venues across Alaska.
In the weeks before the Alaska premiere of Frida, AO took the cast and artistic team onsite to organizations engaged through the project for a program of excerpts and discussions about the production, including Anchorage School District classrooms. “One in five students comes from a household where English is not a first language and 23% of those report Spanish as their first language.” Smith said. “Opportunities to experience the arts, especially opera, are limited for ASD students. We’re proud to have reached many under-served segments of our community while simultaneously demonstrating the diversity of artists and our art form in current times, thereby making it relatable to them.”
Your Pick.Click.Give Gift matters to our non-profit community! Thank you!
We appreciate your Pick.Click.Give. donation in ANY amount especially during this time of need during the COVID-19 pandemic.